Saturday, January 26, 2013

Day 4 - The End

This will be a short entry because it's late and I'm very eager to sleep past 6 a.m. My shuttle to the airport doesn't leave until 9 a.m., so I'm looking forward to the extra sleep.

But first things first: I went a combined 0-for-3 with an RBI in our two games today. The final two games. So I finished 0-for-fantasy camp with two walks and two RBIs. Not too great. But I made a few plays in the field this week, so I'm pleased with that. That, combined with my effective pitching performance the other day, means I can declare the week a wash for me, performance wise.

In our game against the former big leaguers (really just one inning per team where everyone bats), I struck out looking against Pete Smith. I worked the count to 2-2 and fouled a pitch into the stands. So that's something. I thought strike three was outside. The big leaguers won the combined "all-star" game 6-4. And by the way, they all are still pretty good at baseball. They're no longer able to compete at the major league level, but they can compete handily against any other regular Joes. They still make it look so smooth and so natural. Several of them played out of position (Javy Lopez played third for a while, Steve Avery played centerfield, for example) but they still had no problem making plays. They would even show off and make extra throws around the horn on routine plays and still get the out at first. Also, their throws are always right on target. The campers can't make the same claim.

For this game, we got the major league treatment. They announced our lineups over the PA system as we each ran out onto the field (ala Opening Day), and also announced each camper's at-bat. They even played the national anthem. The stadium was open to the public and concessions were sold. People came out to watch. It was pretty cool.

And with that, fantasy camp was over. One last event was held Saturday night at Maggiano's. Players and campers gave speeches, prizes were awarded and people were already looking forward to next year. And yes, many of the campers do this every year. I hope to make it back next year, but it's way too early to know whether it'll happen.

I'll do another post soon with some deeper thoughts about the camp and the lessons I will take from it. For now, though, I say thanks for reading about this adventure. I had a blast. Here are a few photos from today to close things out.


Above, David Justice bats during the camper-player game.


Steve Avery pitching during the same game. One of the campers hit a bullet into the gap off Avery. Everyone was impressed.


For the last day, Justice took over the kangaroo court duties.


Me in the team photo. Sorry for the mediocre quality. I had to take a picture of a picture, as I don't have a digital copy yet.


A Craig Kimbrel autographed ball I won during trivia at the farewell banquet. My question: Who was the last Brave to pitch a no-hitter? Answer: Kent Mercker in 1994.

1 comment:

  1. Jason, Thanks. It was great to live vicariously through you this week. Safe trip home.

    Welcome back to Charlotte!

    Ralph

    ReplyDelete